Re: Suggestion for dual-licensed LaTeX (was Re: Encoding the name in the file contents (was Re: Towards a new LPPL draft))

Frank Mittelbach <frank.mittelbach@latex-project.org> writes:

> I would suggest for (nearly) all typesetting systems to use a license like
> LPPL, simply because (nearly) all of them have as one of their purposes the
> goal to allow interchange of documents.

Here's the big mistake.

You think you are matching the license to the purpose.

Actually, you are doing the opposite.  You are simple declaring that
any use of the software which does not advance that purpose is going
to be disregarded.

All those people who might want to do something really wacky with the
code other than typesetting and interchange of documents are being
written off.