Re: Encoding the name in the file contents (was Re: Towards a new LPPL draft)

On 24 Jul 2002, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> How is it an API change to register the name of the work you belong to?

Perhaps I misunderstood, but it sounded like it would be required for a
modified work to identify itself as modified, so that documents can
determine if they're running on "real" latex.  This disallows preserving
the API exactly while changing the execution.

> We already allow for the concept that programs may not be allowed to
> "lie" about their origin in that they may be required to have a
> different name.

A different name to humans.  A different package name, sure.  In some
cases, a different executable name (This would be problematic if it
were broad enough).  A different name in it's API?  I don't think that
follows.

> So now we add a facility for files to identify themselves as a part of a
> greater work and require them to be "truthful" about that name (for a
> given definition of "truthful").  I see no necessary violation here.

Adding the facility is no worry.  Requiring derived works to use that
facility is non-free IMO.