Re: Encoding the name in the file contents (was Re: Towards a new LPPL draft)

Scripsit Mark Rafn <dagon@dagon.net>
> On 25 Jul 2002, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > pc-043:~/foo$ latex radio.tex
> > This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
> > (radio.tex
> > LaTeX2e <1999/12/01> patch level 1

> Cool.  Is it possible to simply add a requirement "the identification
> string when used must state that it has been modified".  You'd then get
>   LaTex2e <1999/12/01> patch level 1 modified by markr
> or whatever.  Users who wanted an unmodified version would then know to go
> get one.

This is already required, but the LaTeX community does not trust this
mechanism enough to really provide users with knowledge. As I said
(and as you demonstrated in practise) hardly anybody ever looks at the
spew of boot-up messages that scrolls by after one starts latex.

--
Henning Makholm      "Jeg kunne ikke undgå at bemærke at han gik på hænder."