Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:38:03 -0400
> From: Boris Veytsman <borisv@lk.net>

> LaTeX. Actually, there ARE non-TeX programs that use LaTeX as macro
> packages. The most popular among such programs is pdftex. I use pdftex
> almost as often as tex. When pdftex is called as pdflatex, it loads
> latex.fmt and processes the documents "almost like TeX". The only

Sorry about this, but I just understood that this is not exactly
so. pdflatex loads pdflatex.fmt, which is made from latex.ltx in the
way latex.fmt is made from latex.ltx. Please read "latex.ltx" instead
of "latex.fmt".

Actually latex.fmt is a binary form of latex.ltx, and the format is
different for tex and pdftex.

Again, sorry for this unintentional lie.

--
Good luck

-Boris

The trouble with being punctual is that people think you have nothing more
important to do.