Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

On 2002-07-17 14:24:15 -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 12:23, Javier Bezos wrote:
> > Let's put it in other words. TeX leaves to the distribution
> > the decision about how files are read/written. tetex
> > decides how files are read/written and it's under GPL. Thus, you
> > can change it if you want. Nothing to do with LaTeX ot LPPL.
> > After that, explaining the problem of holes in our dangerous
> > time can be interesting but it's certainly irrelevant.
>
> This is irrelevant to my position as stated:

This is absolutely relevant. LaTeX is just a set of macros run
through an interpreter. The interpreter happens to be some
implementation of TeX. The security problems will be in the
interpreter, not in the macros. And the parts of the
implementation concerning these possible problems are under GPL.

The same applies to PostScript: One fixes security holes in the
interpreter (e.g. GhostScript) and doesn't worry about the
PostScript files.

Best regards
        Martin
--
               Martin Schröder, MS@ArtCom-GmbH.DE
          ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Straße 8, D-28359 Bremen