Re: Motivations; proposed alternative license

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 10:48:28PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 09:23:14PM -0400, Boris Veytsman wrote:
> > TeX people are from a different culture. TeX is not going to evolve.
> > It is frozen. As Knuth said, "These fonts are never going to change
> > again" (http://sunburn.stanford.edu/~knuth/cm.html).
>
> If that philosophy is embodied in a copyright license, it violates
> clause 3 of the DFSG and is unsuitable for the Debian distribution.

	TeX is not being distributed by Debian.  teTeX, a distribution
that includes a TeX-like component is.  Thankfully, the TeX license is
simple, and easily understood, unlike the LPPL-1.3 draft.  I would
recommend reading it yourself, Branden, just so that you don't get
thrown red herrings.

Simon