Re: Redistribution of JSSE in a java package

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 01:53:08PM +0200, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:

> c. to defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from and
> against any damages, costs, liabilities, settlement amounts
> and/or expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred in
> connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by any third
> party that arises or results from the use or distribution
> of any and all Programs and/or Software.

Henning Makholm has expressed some concerns in another mail which are valid.
History shows that Sun might be willing to grant an exception to alleviate
some of them though (see the exceptions given to blackdown.org for J2SE,
which is pretty much the same license AFAICT).  However, this 2(c) article
in the "Supplemental" section is the absolute killer IMO.  Debian should
*not* agree to indemnify Sun against some third party deciding to sue them.
In fact, as there is a disclaimer of warranty, why are they even asking for
this?  I really *REALLY* dislike this clause, and I believe that it means
that we cannot redistribute anything released under this license.

Cheers,

Stephen