Re: Redistribution of JSSE in a java package

Scripsit Rene Mayrhofer <rene.mayrhofer@gibraltar.at>

> 1. License to Distribute. Sun grants you a non-exclusive,
> non-transferable, royalty-free, limited license to (a) use
> the binary form of the Software for the sole purpose of
> designing, developing and testing your JavaTM applets and
> applications intended to run on a compatible Java
> environment (the "Programs"), provided that the Programs
> add significant and primary functionality to the Software,
> and (b) reproduce and distribute the binary form of the
> Software through multiple tiers of distribution provided
> that you: (i) distribute the Software complete and
> unmodified; (ii) do not distribute additional software
> intended to supersede any component(s) of the Software;
> (iii) do not remove or alter any proprietary
> legends or notices contained in or on the Software; and
> (iv) only distribute the Software pursuant to a license
> agreement that protects Sun's interests consistent with the
> terms contained in this Agreement, and provides that Sun is
> a third party beneficiary to such license agreement.

We have seen somthing like this before, haven't we? It seems to me
that (ii) means that Debian will have to give up its right to
distribute free reimplementations of the software if this one is
distributed even in non-free.

Also, Debian is neither able nor willing to comply with requirement
(iv).

> 2. Requirements. In exchange for the licenses granted in
> Paragraph 1 above, you agree:

> b. that, in the event that you create an API(s) which: (i)
> extends the functionality of a Java platform; and (ii) is
> distributed to third party software developers for the
> purpose of developing software which invokes such
> additional API, you must promptly and broadly publish an
> accurate specification for such API for free use by all
> developers; and

I don't think Debian should agree to this. Not because the requirement
is particularly noxious (in fact our Social Contract implies that
we *will* disclose specifications), but as a matter of principle: Such
requirements contaminate development efforts that is completely
unrelated to the software distributed here; and they should be fought
by all means.

--
Henning Makholm                            "What a hideous colour khaki is."