Re: EDICT, GPL

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 04:05:01AM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> Did it [Quake] actually do this?  It had distribution restrictions, of course
> (which could bump the game itself in contrib, lacking any free datasets),
> but are there also restrictions on what kinds of programs can use the
> data, as there are here?

No. I was just using Quake as an example of a free program that had
non-free data; as far as I know, ID didn't care what you used the data
with, so long as you paid for it.

> > What exactly was the question here?
>
> (c, i) "Permission is granted: ... to use these files as part of software
> which is distributed free-of-charge ..."

It's a bitch of a requirement, and probably gets violated all the time
with stuff like Debian contrib on CheapBytes disks. But that couldn't
affect the license on the code, unless it compiled it in. (Yes, I
realize it's a moot point in this case.)

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
"It's not a habit; it's cool; I feel alive.