Re: EDICT, GPL

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 07:55:11PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> (CC to d-legal; it's related, at least due to edict-el, and they're a
> lot better at this topic than I am.)

It's much easier if you provide some context when you CC like this.

> Does this prevent plain GPL software from using the EDICT?

No. Look, for example, at Quake. It's GPL, but at least for a long
period of time (and arguably still today) there is only one useable data
set, and it was non-free. The license of the data could forbid use with
a GPLed program, but could not prohibit the GPLed program, as that's a
seperate entity.

> > (I had trouble convincing RMS that non-software didn't really fit under
> > the GPL.)

The GPL isn't the greatest license for non-software. The principles of
the GPL - right to modify and distribute, rejection of right to take
proprietary - are very relevant to non-software, though, and the GPL is
a decent lazy-man's way of applying them.

What exactly was the question here?

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
"It's not a habit; it's cool; I feel alive.