Re: [cfi-en] Printing restriction -- should move to non-free ?

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 08:03:10PM +0200, Mikael Hedin wrote:
> [Please cc me, I'm not on the list]

> I got a bug report about the copyright for cfi-en (#144033).  The
> english translation has this paragraph:

>   2. At the moment it is not permissible to mass-distribute the book
>   in printed form without my prior permission. If you want to print a
>   large run of this book I'm sure I wont have a problem with it, but
>   I'm afraid I need to retain control over this process.

> which is a bit ironic, considering the title.  FYI, this part does not
> exist in the original swedish text, which is in the public domain.

> Does the no-printing clause make it non-DFSG free?  I'm afraid so, but
> I would like your comments before having it moved to non-free.

Because the translator has not explicitly placed his work in the public
domain, he *must* explicitly grant us the rights that we need in order
to consider it DFSG-compliant.  The limited license text he provides on
the website does not give us the rights to modify the work, or to
distribute modified copies of the work, both of which are important
rights under the DFSG; and it places restrictions on use, by disallowing
distribution in print form without additional permission.  The current
license listed on http://home.c2i.net/nirgendwo/cdne/preface.htm is not
DFSG-compliant, and I don't see that any other license has been granted.

>   I don't know if any publisher wants to release this book in print,
>   but I leave this as a possibility. If I haven't received an offer
>   within a year or so, I'll release this book under public domain,
>   which means that it will always be free of copyright. Until then,
>   the following applies to this material:

> I made the first .deb on Fri, 18 May 2001, so that year has probably
> gone, but I'm not shure.  Anyway, there is no new version on the
> original website.

In which case, it's better to contact the upstream directly and ask him
if he is placing the translation in the public domain or not.
Clarifying with the upstream author is bound to be the easiest route. :)

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer