Re: Legal status of chess game collections

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 07:20:52PM +0200, Lukas Geyer wrote:
> However, the gnuchess book consists of raw game scores, so my conclusion
> is that it is not subject to copyright and it is in the public domain. (As
> far as I know, the gnuchess book was not put together with some "unique
> criteria", was it, Simon?) Any objections?

Of course it was put together with unique criteria. He made some
choices, and unless they were very simple, they would qualify as unique
criteria. It shouldn't matter, unless the compilers can't be found or
are no longer interested in releasing it under a free license.

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
"It's not a habit; it's cool; I feel alive.