Re: WARNING: Crypto software to be included into main Debian distribution

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
> The essence of your argument seems to be that, rather than doing the
> best we can to promote and spread Free Software under the circumstances,
> we have a moral imperative via the DFSG to stick our collective head in
> the sand whenever our philosophy comes into conflict with the edicts of
> governments.  I don't buy that.

The social contract, which is what I think you meant, is not a cut and
dry document.  I agree many restrictions could be added to how we
distribute software, and it could still be justified under the "Our
Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" clause.  The reverse IP
lookups and no mirrors in the T7 probably falls under this.  I've
never said otherwise, although I would like people to recognize those
sacrifices.

However, it seems I'm currently enmeshed in a battle to convince
people that there is a use restriction.  In that case, a number of the
pieces of software that Debian distributes do not allow additional
restrictions.  Regardless of our philosophy.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu