Re: WARNING: Crypto software to be included into main Debian distribution

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 12:33:06PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > "Legal advice" is more than just a lawyer giving you his opinion, even
> > if it's perfectly sound.  Without an attorney-client relationship, the
> > law doesn't regard you as having received legal advice at all.
> > This is important in any situation where "intent" is being established.
> Sorry, don't know, but will investigate.

Okay, I raised this with the people who were involved in obtaining
the legal advice, and there's a few responses.

The direct answer to your question seems to be that, no, an
attorney/client relationship was not established between the lawyer and
Debian or SPI, however there is an existing attorney/client relationship
with Roszel C. Thomsen II (the lawyer) and Hewlett-Packard, who use the
this law firm for some of their export questions.

According to LaMont, this issue was raised at the SPI board meeting
in late November (2001.11.26? the minutes aren't up on the website, so
I can't check), and Roz emailed the SPI board on the 28th with a view
to establishing an attorney/client relationship. You'd need to check up
with the rest of the board to see if anything's happened with that.

Ronald Chichester who was also part of the crypto-in-main legal advice
team had this to say on the matter (forwarded with permission, he's
subscribed to this list, but isn't up to date with this weeks stuff):

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 08:22:56AM -0600, Ronald.Chichester@bakerbotts.com