Re: WARNING: Crypto software to be included into main Debian distribution

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 07:02:19PM +0000, James Troup wrote:
> Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org> writes:
>
> > [...]
>
> What Florian (conveniently?) cut here is the part that said:
>
> "For mirrors outside the United States there should be no new
>  legal issues not present for those already mirroring non-US (and
>  accordingly the rest of the mail isn't relevant to you)."

Sorry - that is simply not true - As an effect of the laws the fact that
i knowingly export non-us to "t7" countries now has no effect. Germany
has no laws on this. If we have the new crypt-in-main my export might
fall back to the original uploader of the package as he/she/it is
knowingly multi-step exporting packages to t7 countries.

How would we handle a mirror within Lybia which is set up without
our permission - It might be a multi-step mirror over some internal
company mirror which we might not be able to block - How would we than
protect debian developers against beeing prosecuted ?

I dont like the fact that i need to put limitations on my ftp/web server
for not beeing reachable from those t7 countries. There might be some
deciding to stop mirroring debian instead punishing certain parts of the
world which came to the us govt minds in the ages of cold war.

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium