Re: WARNING: Crypto software to be included into main Debian distribution

    Walter> tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) wrote:
    >> Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> writes:
    >>
    >> > tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) wrote: > > "You might
    >> consider" is a far cry from "you must".  I don't think you > >
    >> understand how lawyers give recommendations.  > > Are you
    >> suggesting that Debian not do those things?  Is Debian going >
    >> to distribute crypto without doing reverse IP lookups and
    >> without the > use restrictions?
    >>
    >> The use restrictions are contrary to our own existing policies,
    >> so we can't take that recommendation.

    Walter> These restrictions are in place whether or not we tell
    Walter> people about them.  As US residents, we are prohibited
    Walter> from exporting the software to people who are using it for
    Walter> nuclear, biological, or chemical warfare.  Whether or not
    Walter> we put a notice on the website is immaterial.  To make it
    Walter> completely clear, I quote

True; I think Thomas is a bit confused on this one.

I believe that adding a use restriction to our EULA (and thus having
an EULA) would violate the social contract.

However putting a notice on US websites so that people who want to
construct nuclear or biological weapons know they should grab the
software from outside the US does not seem unreasonable.