Re: Intel's drivers license

Walter Landry wrote:

> This rather long paragraph means that I can't take out some code
> covered by patents and use it to extend my favorite text editor.
> That would count as an additional restriction, and thus
> GPL-incompatible.

Well... Patents normally mean "Hey, hands off this". This patent
license grants an additional *permission*, to use the patents in
certain software.

> This is different from the real-time Linux
> patents, which allow for any implementation as long as it is under
> the GPL.

I agree, that would be better. This is a lot more restrictive. I'm
still not sure that it's GPL-incompatible or DFSG-nonfree, though. It
*is* an added permission rather than added restrictions, right?
What does the GNU folk say?

Sunnanvind (I don't like patents.)