Re: draft for new Vim license

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 03:04:02PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     What if I have a copy with no changes at all, and want to distribute it
>     linked against GPM?  I have to make a change (so it's a "modified Vim")?
>
> Linking against GPM counts as making a change in the program as a whole.
> So that does not raise an issue.

If linking is "changing", that would seem to make licenses that say "you can
distribute unmodified binaries only" impossible--you'd only be able to
distribute binaries supplied by the author.

(Not putting the change-to-GPL clause under the "modification" section
would appear to avoid this altogether, however.)

--
Glenn Maynard