Re: [g_dlegal@zewt.org: Re: draft for new Vim license]

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 02:37:04PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Hmm, this only says the files must include a notice.  The executable
> might not display the notice, thus a user might not be able to see he is
> using a modified version.
>
> This clause 2) was not in the previous version of the Vim license, thus
> this is actually a separate discussion.  I could remove this clause, but
> I'm a bit worried about someone making a nasty change and distributing
> the result that looks just like the original Vim.  Doesn't the GPL
> somehow prevent this from happening?

By requiring source be provided.

If someone's being malicious, and distributing backdoored or trojanned
binaries, licenses aren't going to stop them.  (They're probably doing
something illegal already.)  Nobody sane is going to backdoor a program,
distribute backdoored binaries and backdoored source, along with a
changelog entry that says "added backdoor."

--
Glenn Maynard