European information society directive

I am preparing a paper on lobbying for (and against) European directive on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society. I have a few questions - maybe not really specific but I do not need legal analysis.

1. Was there any considerable lobbying effort from the providers/ users/ programmers/ cryptographers? (Like savetheweb.org petition.) Was it succesful?

2. What is your opinion on this law - will it hamper research or development of the Internet? How? (Technological measures? Private digital copying?)

3. Did you follow the drafting of this directive? Is the final version better or worse than former ones? (Temporary copies/ caching?)

Thanks
Rafal Prochniak