[g_dlegal@zewt.org: Re: draft for new Vim license]

Glenn Maynard wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 12:58:44PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > > 	2) A user of the modified Vim must be able to see that it was modified, at
> > > 	   least in the version information and in the intro screen.
> > >
> > > The GPL has a similar kind of requirement, but this is more specific,
> > > hence not GPL-compatible.
> >
> > I could not find the similar requirement in the GPL.  What would be the
> > similar requirement that is GPL-compatible?
> 2 A, I think.
>     a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
>     stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

Hmm, this only says the files must include a notice.  The executable
might not display the notice, thus a user might not be able to see he is
using a modified version.

This clause 2) was not in the previous version of the Vim license, thus
this is actually a separate discussion.  I could remove this clause, but
I'm a bit worried about someone making a nasty change and distributing
the result that looks just like the original Vim.  Doesn't the GPL
somehow prevent this from happening?

> > If I include 3e, distribution being allowed under the GPL, the remaining
> > problem is that if someone makes changes to Vim and puts the GPL on
> > those changes, I can't include the changes back into the official Vim,
> > because it would mean 3e applies to Vim as a whole and the rest of the
> > license is worthless.  I will have to think about this, and ask Vim
> > developers what they think of it.
> By this (rather authoritative) definition, for your license to be GPL-
> compatible, this must be allowed, whether you explicitely say so or not.
> Are you just trying to make it GPL compatible without saying so
> explicitely, in the fear that it would make it happen more often?

Making the Vim license compatible with GPL makes life easier for a lot
of persons.  But I indeed try to avoid that people make changes to Vim
and use the GPL for those changes, because it would prevent me from
including these changes in the official Vim.

TIM:    Too late.
TIM:    There he is!
   [They all turn,, and see a large white RABBIT lollop a few yards out of the
   cave.  Accompanied by terrifying chord and jarring metallic monster noise.]

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
(((   Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim   )))
 \\\  Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org  ///