Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

Richard -

>     > Looking again at the Vim license, it is not clear whether it permits
>     > distribution of executables of modified versions of Vim.  I hope this
>     > is permitted, since otherwise it would be rather a disaster.
>     > What is your intention?
>
>     Distributing a modified version of Vim (sources and/or executables) is
>     certainly allowed.  I don't see why you would think it's not allowed.
>
> The words explicitly state the right to distribute modified sources,
> but they don't seem to talk about distribution modified of
> executables.  So I was not sure whether that is permitted.

You don't modify executables, you modify the sources and recompile.  Is
it unclear somewhere that executables made from modified sources can be
distributed (with the conditions about making the source code
available)?

> I've made some changes in the Vim license text, attempting to state
> the same conditions but in clearer language.  Here's the result.
> What do you think?  Have I expressed the conditions that you want?

It seems you started with a slightly older version of the license.  The
one I'm using for Vim 6.0 does not have the part about sending me a copy
of a CD-ROM (I have plenty! :-).

I have gone over your version and updated the license a bit.  I'll
include it below.  I intend to keep the part about sending me diffs,
because this is what most people will want to know.  And I do prefer to
receive changes as diffs.

I'll also send a copy of this to the debian list.  They made a few
remarks in the past, I'm sure they want to check these changes.

See http://www.moolenaar.net/ for the Vim+ICCF calendar.
Happy 2002!

- Bram

SUMMARY

Vim is Charityware.  You can use and copy it as much as you like, but you are
encouraged to make a donation for needy children in Uganda.  Please see |iccf|
below or visit the ICCF web site (these are mirrors):

	http://iccf-holland.org/
	http://www.vim.org/iccf/
	http://www.iccf.nl/

The Open Publication License applies to the Vim documentation, see
|manual-copyright|.

LICENSE DETAILS

There are no restrictions on distributing unmodified copies of Vim.  Parts of
Vim may also be distributed, but this text must always be included.  You are
allowed to include executables that you made from the unmodified Vim sources,
plus your own usage examples and Vim scripts.

If you distribute a modified version of Vim, you are encouraged to make it
available to the maintainer, including the source code.  When the maintainer
asks for it (in any way) you must make your changes, including source code,
available to him.  The preferred way to do this is by e-mail or by uploading
the files to a server and e-mailing the URL.  If the number of changes is
small (e.g., a modified Makefile) e-mailing the diffs will do.  The e-mail
address to be used is <maintainer@vim.org>

The maintainer reserves the right to include any changes in the official
version of Vim.  What the maintainer will do with your changes is negotiable.
You are not allowed to distribute a modified version of Vim when you are not
willing to make the source code available to the maintainer or do not want to
let him decide what to do with your changes.

The current maintainer is Bram Moolenaar <Bram@vim.org>.  If this changes, it
will be announced in appropriate places (most likely vim.sf.net, www.vim.org
and/or comp.editors).  When it is completely impossible to contact the
maintainer, the obligation to send him your changes ceases.

It is not allowed to remove this license from the distribution of the Vim
sources or parts of it.  You may use this license for a previous Vim release
instead of the license that came with it, at your option.

=== end of license ===

--
   A cow comes flying over the battlements,  lowing aggressively.  The cow
   lands on GALAHAD'S PAGE, squashing him completely.

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
(((   Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim   )))
 \\\  Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org  ///