Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

Scripsit Bram Moolenaar <Bram@moolenaar.net>

> You are not allowed to distribute a modified version of Vim when you are not
> willing to make the source code available to the maintainer or do not want to
> let him decide what to do with your changes.

This is non-free according to the normal consensus interpretation of
the Debian Free Software Guidelines.

As the minimum, it should be possible for someone to distribute a
modified version - as binaries and source code together - to a few (or
many) friends and then never touch the program again, possibly
deleting it from one's computer completely.

It would be OK to say "if you distribute a modified version
_without source_ to anybody, you must be willing to give me the
source". It would even be OK to apply such a clause to unmodified
versions too.

Reserving the right to do whatever you want with the modified source
is *probably* DFSG-free but not nice. As it stands, you seem to demand
the right, e.g., to include people's patches in proprietary editors.

A quick fix to make the license terms free would be to offer an option
to change the licence to GPL. The unconditional source disclosure
rules in the GPL do a pretty good job of making the kinds of abuse you
probably seek protection against unworkable in practise.

--
Henning Makholm          "Jeg har tydeligt gjort opmærksom på, at man ved at
                   følge den vej kun bliver gennemsnitligt ca. 48 år gammel,