Re: REVISED PROPOSAL regarding DFSG 3 and 4, licenses, and modifiable text

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 01:03:24PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> What would you think about requesting the FSF to give Debian a copy of
> the manual with no such license restriction,

The only way the FSF can "give Debian a copy of the manual" in any
meaningful sense would be to have a Debian-specific license, which is
forbidden by DFSG 8.

Unless, of course, the FSF dual-licensed the manuals in a more general
way, but I think RMS already rejected that idea.

> but which still included the political commentary, under the
> understanding that Debian would distribute the normal version?

I don't understand how this would be achieve anything.

If the FSF gives Debian an exclusive license to versions of GNU Manuals
without invariant sections on the understanding that Debian distributes
only the regular version, I don't see how this changes the situation one
bit.  Licensing one thing to Debian (non-free under DFSG 8, remember)
and only letting Debian distribute a different -- also non-free -- thing
doesn't seem to be any different from having those GNU Manuals in
non-free without the special deal.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    There is no housing shortage in
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    Lincoln today -- just a rumor that