Re: REVISED PROPOSAL regarding DFSG 3 and 4, licenses, and modifiable text

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 01:03:24PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > What would you think about requesting the FSF to give Debian a copy of
> > the manual with no such license restriction,
>
> The only way the FSF can "give Debian a copy of the manual" in any
> meaningful sense would be to have a Debian-specific license, which is
> forbidden by DFSG 8.

I don't mean a Debian-specific license.  I mean RMS giving the Debian
project a copy of the manual, with political sections, but without
marking them as invariant, under the understand that Debian would not
remove the invariant sections.

> If the FSF gives Debian an exclusive license to versions of GNU Manuals
> without invariant sections on the understanding that Debian distributes
> only the regular version, I don't see how this changes the situation one
> bit.

I'm not suggesting an exclusive license.