Re: Adpcm code--is this licence free?

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 05:36:03PM +0200, Daniel Kobras wrote:
> Alas the code is pretty ancient (1992), and neither the code, nor the
> CWI pages offer references on who to contact regarding ADPCM. Anyway,
> I've found out the code is not only used by current Debian packages of
> xwave and xmp, but according to legal notices also by some commercial
> packages. Now I believe HP lawyers letting slip this licence into their
> products is a good indication that we can safely include it as well.
> Objections?

Yes. I have no objection to letting the code in, but I do take exception
to this line of reasoning. Whether or not HP does it makes no difference
to us. Even it currently being in Debian is no proof of it being
acceptable; every so often we come across a license that has been in
Debian for years, but that isn't DFSG.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and