Re: Group Copyright

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 10:01:32AM -0600, John Galt wrote:
> I was mostly talking about binding on the developers. If a license
> isn't binding on the copyright owner, licensing is a non-issue,
> because the result is undistributable by definition.

What are you talking about?

> However you seem to be talking about the copyright grantee.  It's simple:
> if the grant of copyright is not binding on you, you don't have the right
> to make copies.  There is no middle ground.

With copyright, there's always a middle ground: fair use, for instance.

> In all cases of minors having the right to repudiate contracts, the
> minor must make things such that it was as if the contract never
> existed: they must return the merchandise a check paid for or they
> must destroy all copies made under a grant of copyright, to give two
> examples.

For some definition of "must" which allows for a multi-billion dollar
industry selling music, games, etc. to the teenage markets.

Anyways: this is debian-legal.  While it may be illuminating to disucss
legal tangets unrelated to debian, ultimately we should be focussing on
legal issues relevant to debian packages.

More specifically, we should be focussing on making sure we have the
permissions we need [see the DFSG -- though perhaps we should look into
getting formal legal advice, at some point, in each of the countries
where we have developers].

--
Raul