Re: Group Copyright

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:

>IANAL.
>
>On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 03:37:11PM -0600, John Galt wrote:
>> A license is a contract, and wording within is binding.
>
>Even on people under 18 years of age? I think this is the biggest

I was mostly talking about binding on the developers.  If a license isn't
binding on the copyright owner, licensing is a non-issue, because the
result is undistributable by definition.

>loophole of all in the practice of licenses; any click-wrap license must
>not apply to users under 18, since no contract has the power to bind
>them under most law in the US. I imagine copyright licenses, having to do with
>redistribution and modification, have a better standing with regard to
>this age group, since even they are in theory restricted from copying
>and modifying copyrighted works without a license. Of course, in UCITA
>states, click-wrap licenses may bind even those under 18, though I
>cannot tell for sure.

However you seem to be talking about the copyright grantee.  It's simple:
if the grant of copyright is not binding on you, you don't have the right
to make copies.  There is no middle ground.  In all cases of minors having
the right to repudiate contracts, the minor must make things such that it
was as if the contract never existed: they must return the merchandise a
check paid for or they must destroy all copies made under a grant of
copyright, to give two examples.

--
FINE, I take it back: UNfuck you!