Re: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net>:

> If X is illegal (or violates a civil law) for a single person to do,
> then as a rule, it is also illegal (or violates civil law) for a group
> of people acting in cahoots to do it, no matter how they divide up the
> tasks.

I agree absolutely.

Obviously the phrase "in cahoots" is rather critical here.

If I download Debian GPL and non-free sources and modify them and link
them on my machine, and I do this without Debian having suggested that
I do it, then, in my opinion, neither Debian nor me is infringing.

However, if /usr/doc/foo/README,gz were to tell people how to do this
deed, then Debian would be infringing, IMHO. That is how this
discussion is potentially relevant to the Debian project.

I think I have learnt something from this thread, though I begin to
believe I won't learn anything more from it, so you'll be glad to hear
that I will shut up soon.

Edmund