Re: PacWars2 library use

Scripsit Filip Van Raemdonck <mechanix@debian.org>

> The only thing I can find for seer that comes close to a
> license is this:

> 	This software is free , but if you use it
> 	-=3D PUT MY NAME (and the lib's ) IN THE CREDITS!! =3D-
> 	and let me know about your program...
> 	I'd be happy to see what you've used it for...

> Is this enough to distribute it?

It's ambiguous, and we usually prefer to err on the side of caution
- in which case the text would be interpreted to mean free as beer,
plus a permission to reuse with a REQUIREMENT to notify the author.
Which is nonfree.

> I believe it should state that distribution and modification are
> allowed,

That is true, too.

> (It depends off course on what meaning "free" has... beer or speech; as the
> sources are there it's clearly speech

Not that clearly.

The best idea would be to contact the author and ask him politely
to clarify the license terms, explaining how copyright law applies
automatically to any work and how Debian needs an explicit copyright
licence.  You may point to the DFSG and suggest that he adopt either
the GPL or a BSD license without and advertising clause, and then
add a non-binding request to inform him of uses somewhere that's
clearly separate from the legal stuff.

--
Henning Makholm        "I stedet for at finde på en bedre plan havde de alle
                sammen den frækhed at spørge mig, hvad *jeg* ville foreslå."