Re: Microcode license [#3]

On 01-Jun-01, 16:02 (CDT), Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> wrote:
> [No one (other than Thomas Bushnell) is advocating that the microcode
> be distributed under the DFSG.]

Well, I think I would *advocate* that it be distributed under the
DFSG. I suspect that the benefits of doing so are perhaps less, in that
fewer people would be able to take advantage, but one of the benefits of
open source is the ability to learn from other people. I bet there are
many people out there who would very much like to learn how Intel writes
microcode for their chips. Of course, some of those people work for AMD.  :-)

On the other hand, if we can't modify, what purpose is served
by us distributing it at all? It's available from the Intel
website, right? It's just a file that gets installed by the loader,
right? There's no integration issue.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read