Re: Microcode license [#3]

Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>:

> On the other hand, if we can't modify, what purpose is served
> by us distributing it at all? It's available from the Intel
> website, right? It's just a file that gets installed by the loader,
> right? There's no integration issue.

There are two advantages to having it on a CD. Firstly, convenience,
particularly for people with bad Internet connections. Secondly,
repeatability: people can record that they installed the entire
operating system from a particular CD, rather than have to worry about
Intel updating its web site so that the same procedure might not work
next time.

Edmund