Re: gnomerar

On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 10:46:41AM +0300, cooly wrote:

[Forwarded to debian-legal@lists.debian.org]

[Please CC me because I don't subscribe -legal]

> Hi,
> I was wondering if you can help me or advise me.
> Yesterday I recived a mail from rarsoft regarding gnomerar (called
> gnochive now).
> They "offered" me the permision to use winrar icons ... and to host
> gnomerar or gnochive on their webpage (rarsoft page).
> First they offered me this stuff (i didn't asked for it so to say).
> gnochive is GPL and part of gnome desktop and some other linux
> distributions, so I'm afraid this things would break GPL, I want to keep
> my program free.
> So I don't know really what to do maybe you can help me in this matter.

First off, I have taken the liberty to forward this to debian-legal.
Although this is not Debian specific, I'm sure somebody in there have a more
precise point of view regardind this issue.

Anyway, IF you didn't ask for any of this and IF they give you permission to
use winrar icons (Do you have that in writing?), I don't think there is any
problem storing the program in their archive.

As I see it, the only problem that could arise is the use of winrar icons,
because I don't think they are GPL, and the fact that you have their
permission to use them, doesn't mean they are GPL. It really depends on what
they say in the "offer" they made you.

I hope somebody in debian-legal have a more precise ideia of this.

--
Pedro Guerreiro					EMail: pmguerre@ualg.pt
Universidade do Algarve (EST)			Ext: 6168