Re: Keyspan Firmware fun

> tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
>
> > "mere aggregation" does not include linking.  "mere aggregation"
> > implies *just* aggregation, and not combination.  It's what you do
> > when you make a CD with a bunch of different programs.
>
> If this is the problem we have a lot other problems. GPL cannot and
> does not (in fact it would break DFSG clause 9) say anything about
> "combination"'s of this sort. (make a CD with different programs)
>

> I see no problems with maikin GPL programs that moves unfree data from
> one place to another. What is done with included firmware if I
> understand correctly. It is moved from harddisk to the hardware and
> then the hardware is used like any other kind of smart hardware.

I also don't see a (legal) problem with GPL programs that just move
unfree data around.  Otherwise cp would have serious use restrictions.
However, cp doesn't contain within itself the unfree data.  The
keyspan drivers do.  If Adam's patch is applied, then (as I understand
it) the kernel will no longer have the unfree data within itself.
This would make most people happy.  Therefore, I think that Adam
should get the patch incorporated ASAP (not waiting until 2.5).  This
is, unfortunately, a legal decision about something that should be
technical.  However, if Linus et. al. hadn't been such bozos in
approving the license, we wouldn't be here.

And yes, I do mean bozo.  The license doesn't even give permission to
make a copy!!!!!  ACK!

Regards,
Walter Landry
landry@physics.utah.edu