Re: Keyspan Firmware fun

Sam Hartman <hartmans@mit.edu> writes:

> I have to agree with you and disagree with Thomas.  If the code is
> simply bits that will be spewed out to some device, that seems much
> more like a combination than linking.

I'm sorry; I think I insufficiently understood the case, but now I've
got it better.

Ok, I think it probably does not conflict with the GPL for the driver
to include a string of bytes which are fed down to the hardware as an
independent program, using the driver as just a program loader.

As you point out, however, this is not DFSG free under any stretch of
the imagination if we don't have and distribute the source to these
bits.