Re: newsgate non-free?

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 08:14:13PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 05:58:34PM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> > Why is newsgate in the non-free archive?  I realize that there's no
> > clear license attached to it, but the snippets of licenses that appear
> > in some pieces of code all seem to comply with the DFSG, and the
> > historical approach to it almost makes it seem like it's public domain.
> > The debian/copyright file itself states that "It is one of those things
> > grown on the Network. It is available all over the net though..."
> >
> > So is there any possibility of getting newsgate moved to main?
>
> If you can track down all the authors, and get them to re-release it under
> a DFSG-compliant license...

I claim that that's not necessary.  It is very clear that newsgate
allows both unlimited distribution and derivative works.  The few pieces
of code for which the author claims copyright are released under DFSG
compliant terms (often not a "license" but just "you can do what you
want with this").  Much of the code is explicitly public domain.

I would like to get debian-legal's opinion on this.  I believe this
package belongs in main.

noah