Re: Keyspan Firmware fun

[sorry for the broad CC]

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 07:23:41PM +1000, Sam Johnston wrote:
> > There are lots of firmware images in your computer that don't have a
> > OpenSource license on them, just that now some of these devices
> > require the host to send the image to them before they can work
> > properly.
>
> certainly... host adapters, hard drives, motherboards, video cards, storage
> devices, digital cameras, etc. all have firmware that most likely contains a
> lot of juicy information about the hardware that vendors may want to keep
> secret. and we should accommodate for that - it's not like it's of much use
> to us anyway

Right.  Kinda like how specs on the floppy controller chip to an 8-year old
Macintosh Quadra aren't of any use to us, because they might let us (gasp!)
read and write floppies under Linux.

The crown jewels of Cupertino, that info is...

--
G. Branden Robinson             |       What influenced me to atheism was
Debian GNU/Linux                |       reading the Bible cover to cover.