Re: LinuxLand's strange copyright notices

Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net>:

> > I know for books, the copyright on the collection as a whole (including
> > cover art, etc) is separate from the copyright on the individual stories.
> > I assume this is similar.
>
> This is true, and related to the case.  But the copyright on the whole
> must still be compatible with the copyright on each piece, and I don't
> think (but I'm not sure) that the GPL would permit this kind of
> shenanigan.

If the inclusion of GPL software on a CD means that the collection as
a whole (including cover art, etc) must be licensed under the GPL,
then Debian is in real trouble, because some of the free software that
Debian distributes has a GPL-incompatible licence.

Well, maybe there's some complex argument that proves that the GPL
must apply to the cover art of a CD containing GPL software even
though it doesn't have to apply to other software on the same CD, but
it seems a bit far-fetched to me ...

Edmund