Re: [Jeff Squyres <jsquyres@lsc.nd.edu>] New LAM/MPI license

On 20-Feb-01, 08:24 (CST), Sam TH <sam@uchicago.edu> wrote:

> The Artistic License is widely considered problematic, on account of
> it's vagueness.  The FSF doesn't consider it a free license.  I'm not
> sure if Debian has an offical stance on it.
>
> Almost every piece of software that uses the Artistic License also
> allows the GPL as an alternative license (this is the way Perl
> works).  This avoids the problems raised the by the Artistic License.

If they like the general tone of the Artistic license, you might
suggest they look at the "Clarified Artistic License":

http://www.appwatch.com/license/ncftp-3.0.2.txt

This is listed on the FSF page as free and GPL compatible.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read