Re: [Jeff Squyres <jsquyres@lsc.nd.edu>] New LAM/MPI license

Brian Russo <brusso@phys.hawaii.edu>:

> isn't this just the same Artistic license as Perl, etc is released
> under?
>
> looks like it (i just skimmed), in which case it's DFSG-free.

Could the owners be persuaded to licence their program under the
disjunction of the Artistic license and the GPL?

This is how Perl is licensed. Even though the Artistic licence is
itself (I think) GPL-compatible, it's good to have the GPL as an
explicit option, because then people can tell immediately, and without
consulting a lawyer, that Perl's licence is GPL-compatible, and it can
never be disputed in the future.

If you haven't already done so, read this:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#ArtisticLicense

Edmund