Re: [Jeff Squyres <jsquyres@lsc.nd.edu>] New LAM/MPI license

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 09:07:18AM -0500, Camm Maguire wrote:

> Greetings!  The lam upstream authors just sent me this notice of their
> intent to change their license from the current GPL.  Does this pose
> any problems for Debian?
>
> Take care,

The Artistic License is widely considered problematic, on account of
it's vagueness.  The FSF doesn't consider it a free license.  I'm not
sure if Debian has an offical stance on it.

Almost every piece of software that uses the Artistic License also
allows the GPL as an alternative license (this is the way Perl
works).  This avoids the problems raised the by the Artistic License.

You should let the upstream authors know about these problems.  If
they really want people to be able to do all the things they mention
without restriction, they should consider the X license.

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
	GnuPG Key: