Re: non-free packages - what exactly are the requirements from vendor?

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 06:36:46PM -1000, Brian Russo wrote:
> In section 5.2 of DR
> "Packages which do not apply to the DFSG are placed in the non-free
> section. These packages are not considered as part of the Debian
> dist.."
>
> Which is all very well and ambiguous..
>
> What exactly are the requirements?

We have to be allowed to put it in non-free.

> I have a specific case in mind, but I'd rather wait a while, if it
> doesn't matter, this'll just be another thread in archives.
>
> Would a Debian-specific license to redistribute the software be ok?
> Or does it have to be non-exclusive to Debian?

No.

> I know this is the case for DFSG-free, but unsure WRT non-free.
>
> I know "not for commercial use" is allowed.
> So there's no concern about "excluding certain groups"

Correct.

> As I understand it; the only real requirements in order for
> something to be included/distributed in "non-free" is:
>
> o Must be able to legally redistribute "as part of the
>   distribution". Be this on CD's.. ftp's.. rsync.. whatever.

It doesn't have to be legal to redistribute on CD.  [Or at least, we've
put such software into non-free in the past.]

> o Must be able to distribute modified binary packages (why there's
>   no pine)

We do prefer that non-free software meet debian-policy requirements,
but I don't know whether this is an absolute requirement.

> Am I missing something here? I'm certainly no lawyer, and would
> appreciate any guidance here.

I hope this helps.

--
Raul