Re: SGI Free SW license 1.1 compatability with Xfree86 style license

Scripsit Bolan Meek <Bolan.Meek@wcom.com>

> Henning, I think you are going on-and-on about nothing.  Do you really
> fear that SGI is going to come after you if you use the software that
> they openly release?  Or are you just enjoying an exercise in word-
> wrangling?

I think that one has to be paranoid when reading licenses.

> To idemnify means, in this kind of context, roughly, to hold harmless,

Yes, and wouldn't it cause SGI harm if I competed succesfully with
them, using their software.

> if _you_ suffer loss through the use of the software, or if
> _someone_ else suffers loss through _your_ use of it,

Where in the clause do you see that loss suffered by SGI is not covered?

> If SGI were to suffer business losses as a result of you successfully
> competeing through the use of their software, the losses wouldn't
> really be due to you, but their own lack of competetiveness and
> efficiency.

Do you think that argument would be sure enough to hold in court that
this license should be accepted as free?

> > Well, that's a possible reasoning, but how can you be sure that the
> > second sentence is not just another, independently valid, rule?

> You can be sure by the common understanding of language.

Common understanding of language says to me that sentences that are
separated by full stops are, like, independent sentences.

> Legalese doesn't give words strange, arcane, hidden meanings:

No. Do you think it is a strange, arcane, hidden meaning to say that
"You must idenmify my losses" means "If I lose money, you must pay up"?

> they can be looked up in the dictionary.

I did.

--
Henning Makholm                        "*Jeg* tænker *strax* på kirkemødet i
                     Konstantinopel i 381 e.Chr. om det arianske kætteri..."