Re: ITP: oms -- Open Media System DVD Player

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 06:08:03PM -0700, John Galt wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Bart Schuller wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 01:22:58PM -0700, John Galt wrote:
> > > Brian--I've seen your comments on it on the harvard list.  In fact,
> > > you could read that the injunction applies to every warm body on Earth and
> > > every program that looks like it could possibly transfer a bit off a
> > > DVD.  The MPAA picked a good judge--he stayed bought.  However, this is
> >
> > I don't see how you could possibly read that. I'm not in that judge's
> > jurisdiction.
>
> Neither is Lemuria in the Cali case, but they were named (Lemuria is based
> in .de).  Neither was Johansen in the SDNY, but he was jailed.

It's a widely circulated fallacy that Johansen was jailed for his
involvement in DeCSS.

  The courageous teen also revealed that the MPAA filed charges against Jon
  and his father Per, instigating the Norwegian Economic Crime Unit to ask
  Jon to answer questions at the police station in January 2000. His
  testimony revealed a flaw in the judge's thinking, who has previously
  stated in several opinions that the teen was arrested and has inferred
  guilt therefrom. Not only was Johansen never arrested for developing the
  software, the Norwegian government awarded Jon a prestigious award for his
  excellent grades in high school and his contribution to society for
  creating DeCSS.  Although it did not come out in court today, the
  Norwegian parliament has also issued the young teen a formal apology for
  the treatment he has undergone as a result of publishing the code.

   (From http://www.foolishconsistency.com/ - Jul 21 2000 Update)

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com