Re: RTLinux patent

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 08:23:45AM +0100, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>:
>
> > > If the patent were only valid in the USA, would it still have to be
> > > removed?
> > No, but it would be moved to Debian non-US so only 'patent safe' servers
> > outside the USA would carry it.
>
> Are you sure?
>
> I thought that there was no problem with distributing software that
> uses a patented technique. Therefore there would be no problem with
> having the software in Debian.
>
> Note that in some countries it is illegal to use some of the software
> in Debian. However, there is no separate "non-Russia" section, etc,
> and there is no need to create one.
>
> As I understand it, the purpose of Debian non-US is to avoid problems
> with US cryptography legislation. Fortunately, these problems are
> specific to the US. If they weren't, Debian would need 2^N-1 sections,
> where N is the number of countries in the world.

Yes, you are right. I was not completely sure.
I was under the impression that software patents were only a real problem
in the USA. But you are right. I looked at the packages in non-US and
they seem to all contain cryptographic software.

Although you are probably right that only the use of a patented method
is restricted I am not sure that it is always safe for Debian to distribute
software that implements something that is patented (if it is not licensed
under a free/public license).

Cheers,

Mark