Re: RTLinux patent

Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>:

> > If the patent were only valid in the USA, would it still have to be
> > removed?
> No, but it would be moved to Debian non-US so only 'patent safe' servers
> outside the USA would carry it.

Are you sure?

I thought that there was no problem with distributing software that
uses a patented technique. Therefore there would be no problem with
having the software in Debian.

Note that in some countries it is illegal to use some of the software
in Debian. However, there is no separate "non-Russia" section, etc,
and there is no need to create one.

As I understand it, the purpose of Debian non-US is to avoid problems
with US cryptography legislation. Fortunately, these problems are
specific to the US. If they weren't, Debian would need 2^N-1 sections,
where N is the number of countries in the world.

Edmund