Re: export law again

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 10:31:27AM -0700, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> What is this forum's opinion on a US developer compiling (without modifying)
> a package and uploading it to non-US?  I've occasionally had to do this,
> since there is no PowerPC autobuilder outside the US right now.  We can work
> around that in other ways, presumably, but I'd like to get a sense of where
> the law stands on this.

You may be required to register yourself with the government as a person
who uploads crypto software to machines outside the US.  ie, that you
export crypto.  You assume full risk for doing so naturally if Janet Reno
and the FBI booth decide they don't like you.  I personally wouldn't
bother registering with anyone, but then I was exporting PGP under ITAR
penalties 7 years ago.

<Mercury> knghtbrd: Eww, find a better name, the movie sucked.. <G>
<Knghtbrd> Mercury: The engine is better than the movie