Re: [Debian] Majordomo will be removed (fwd)
- To: Jonathan Morace <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: [Debian] Majordomo will be removed (fwd)
- From: Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk>
- Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:34:21 +0100
- Message-id: <20000605103421.F17944@polya>
- In-reply-to: <Pine.A41.firstname.lastname@example.org>; from email@example.com on Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 05:24:14PM -0700
- References: <20000604232359.B16611@polya> <Pine.A41.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 05:24:14PM -0700, Jonathan Morace wrote:
> >Majordomo is *not* open source software. It doesn't fulfil the
> >conditions of the Open Source Definition. In particular, as this
> >security problem has been noticed and Debian is unable to fix it and
> >distribute a fixed version because of the license, there is little
> >choice left but to remove it in the first instance. It bears little
> >resemblance to the Apache license.
> I just reviewed the open source definition, and I am a little confused
> which rule you think it does not conform to.
> I think rule 4 describes the license requirement very well. If I'm
> reading it right, that is what the license says.
> 4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code.
> The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in
> modified form only if the license allows the distribution of "patch
> files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying the program at
> build time. The license must explicitly permit distribution of software
> built from modified source code. The license may require derived works to
> carry a different name or version number from the original
> software. (rationale)
Good point, I'm not certain why it's in non-free. I'm passing it on
to debian-legal and the majordomo maintainer for someone with more
expertise to answer.
Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
Debian GNU/Linux Developer, see http://www.debian.org/~jdg
Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/