Re: ia64 port

On 2000-05-26 at 15:36 -0700, Joey Hess wrote:

> This is a nice hypothetical, but here's a quote from VA's Chris DiBona
> that I read on slashdot
> (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/05/26/1251258&mode=nested)
>
>       The only code that is from Intel in object code form
>       is the BIOS and motherboard controller firmware. There
>       is no other object code on the system. The IA-64
>       Linux kernel is completely open and has been out of NDA
>       and licensed under the GPL since February.
>
> Do you still have concerns? If so, I'd like to just forward them to
> Chris for comments.

I readily concede that my concerns were hypothetical, but what else could
they be?  I suppose that promising not to reverse engineer the BIOS and
motherboard controller firmware is not likely to lead to an egregious
problem, but my point is that you never know.  I have a great deal of
respect for Chris DiBona, and I would credit his views on this as
deserving of great weight.  On the other hand, I also recall Intel pulling
the "Appendix H" stunt some years ago, and that makes me, personally,
uncomfortable about whether they "get" the Open Source concept.

-- Mike