Possible copyright violation wrt SNNS

I've been doing sparc binary builds for non-free, and reading the
copyright/changelog files as I go.  I have a question wrt SNNS.

From the license:

	"In contrast to the GNU license we do not allow  modified copies of our
	software  to  be  distributed.  You  may,  however,   distribute  your
	modifications  as separate  files (e.g. patch files)  along  with  our
	unmodified SNNS  software."

From the changelog:

snns (4.2-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New maintainer.
  * New upstream release.
  * debian/rules: Complete rewrite using debhelper (closes: #51093).
  * debian/control: Added Build-Depends, upped Standards-Version to 3.1.0
  * tools/sources/symtab.c: Changed MAXFLOAT to FLT_MAX because of compile
    problem (the latter is ANSI, alternatively I could have defined
    __USE_XOPEN)
  * xgui/sources/ui.h: Used "ui__h" as include sentinel macro instead of
    __ui which clashes with /usr/include/bits/string2.h from glibc.
  * man/man1/*: Changed manpages to reflect namechange from xgui to snns.xgui.

  -- Torsten Landschoff <torsten@debian.org>  Thu, 25 Nov 1999 02:18:01 +0100

To me, it appears as if the software has been modified.  (Indeed, I could
even see where packaging the software might be considered "modifying", but
I'm more concerned with the actual changes to source files.)

Comments please?  Torsten, am I totally misunderstanding what's been done?

Regards,
Steve

ps: Please cc replies to me, as I am not subscribed to -legal.